Thursday 29 July 2010

Eco-home in the Panhandle?

Posted by Picasa

[Note on rotating this photo: I have not found a way to rotate photos on this blog. I rotated it on my Blackberry before emailing it to the blog -- but that rotation did not 'stick' and the photo uploaded side-ways. My last resort was to download the photo to Picasa, rotate it there, and then upload it to the blog. This worked -- but defeated the purpose of taking a photo with a Blackberry (which is: to post the photo directly to the blog).]

Here is somebody's temporary "home" on the Panhandle in San Francisco. A caravan of three shopping carts, piled high with blankets and sundry belongings; nearby, a camping chair. No electricity, no plumbing - leaving a very light carbon footprint.

If this were an earnest attempt to live off-grid in the city, would that make it laudable? And otherwise, is it laughable? or perhaps sad? or it just is what it is.

PS. After sitting on a bench nearby for a while, I summoned the courage to go and talk to the owner / keeper who I'd seen seated on the grass when I passed by. I was starting to surmise that these were the belongings of several people, who rotated 'guarding' them so as to free the others up. Kind of like communal childcare, or car-pooling. When I poked my head back 'round the shopping carts, however, he was asleep in a sleeping bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers